Monday, November 28, 2011

Devin's 17th birthday and a broken back

Devin has been anxious to ski all year and was thrilled when he was able to go with some friends the day after Thanksgiving. They skied until about 1:30 and were about ready to head back to the car when Devin did a back flip and landed on a rock.  In his words:

"We built a jump and we had hit it a couple of times and I had already hit it once and I decided to do a different trick and I hit it and I twisted around and I landed on my back. It was instant pain. I laid there for 15 or 20 minutes just in pain until I got up and worked my way down the rest of the hill and to the car. By the time we got home, my back was so swollen and so sore. I went to the hospital where they did a CT Scan and told me that I had broken my Sacrum in 2 places."

The doctor said that if he had broken it any hight or lower it could have caused severe nerve damage. He was very fortunate, for sure. He will be out of school for at least 2 weeks and it will be 6 to 8 weeks before his back heals.

Tonight some of his friends came over and we had a little celebration for his birthday.

His back is so swollen. Look at that bump!

No comments: