

June 6th is my birthday and I was not celebrating the year the dam broke. I was reading another blog and was reminded of the aniversary of the Teton Dam breaking the day before my birthday 33 years ago. My kids don't hear me talk much about this day so I thought I would post of few pictures and details. Like Roberta said, "When you talk, everything is either B.F (before the flood) or A.F. (after the flood) - similar to b.c. and a.d. in our world's history. ---- in the blink of an eye: the radio announcing the dam as it slowly disintegrated and walls of brown-muddy water came rushing toward our community, the sirens roaring in the background - warning residence that this was not a joke, the congested streets and intersections as people tried to reach higher ground, the eeriness we felt as what seemed like the entire population of Idaho tried to squeeze on top of the Rexburg hill, the sinking feeling I got in my stomach as I saw the waters ripping through the city streets . The logs that were waiting to be processed leveled everything in their path as the flood waters carried them in our direction . . .There was a cow in the basement of the house. ....... they put the area under Marshall-Law which meant no one could come into the community and police guards were stationed at road blocks at every entrance to the city .... . Everything was churned up like a big blender . . . The smell of the contaminated mud was unbelievable. "
She said it so well. I too have some vivid memories. Mom, Dad and I were camping at Max Inn. Dad and I had come down from the mountains to take care of farming duties and I to practice softball and practice the organ at the Tabernacle. A lady came running across the street to Smith Park announcing that the Dam had burst, destroying everything in it's path. I ran to my car and drove to Sugar City which was not a good idea when the flood is coming towards that town and would later destroy much of it. I helped my seminary teacher family move their food storage to the top floor and check on my Aunt Letha. She was mowing her lawn and didn't want to leave until she was done. I drove back to Rexburg and sat on top of the dorms to watch as the water came roaring in and the sight of a dust storm before the waters was seen. It was unbelievable.
4 comments:
Wow! Thanks for sharing Robyn. and HAPPY BIRTHDAY LADY!
I'm so glad that Roberta inspired you to post about that! I have never heard you talk about it.....and I never even thought to ask. Thanks for sharing!
Aunt Robyn,
That was cool to watch the Utube. I would have never thought to look it up. I also am adding you to my personal calendar. I need to know that it was your birthday. So--
Happy Birthday sweet Aunt. Hope your day was fun and special.
Kim
Hey Mrs. Eastin! How are you doing?? It seems like just yesterday you were coaching our cheer team and teaching my fashion and design class! Well I hope your having a great summer!!
Post a Comment